- Accepted through Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS)
- Applications for 2021-2022 academic year will be accepted through November 30, 2020
- Mailed, faxed or emailed applications will not be acknowledged
Requirements for U.S. or Canadian Medical School Graduates (LCME or AOA-accredited schools)
Complete applications will include:
- Dean’s letter
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- USMLE transcript or COMLEX transcript
Additional Requirements for International Medical Graduates
(including U.S. or Canadian citizens who are graduates of a foreign medical school)
- Scores of 220+ on the first attempt of USMLE Step 1 & Step 2 CK (or similar COMLEX scores) with score report available prior to the invitation to interview
- Passage of USMLE Step 2 CS on the first attempt
- Patient care experience in the U.S. is required, with a preference of 2 or more months
- Three letters of recommendation, with at least two letters from U.S. physicians with first-hand knowledge of the applicant’s clinical experience
- Candidate must be ECFMG certified by February 1, 2021, to be considered for a position starting June 28, 2021
- Fewer than five years since graduation from medical school is strongly preferred, but longer duration considered for applicants in international residencies, US Fellowships, or working as research fellows.
- The program sponsors J-1 and H-1B visas
- To be considered for an H-1B visa, candidates must have documentation through ERAS of a passing score on USMLE Step 3 on file by match day (“will take”, or “score pending” cannot be recognized as a passing score)
All applications are reviewed by Internal Medicine faculty prior to invitation to interview. Communication with all candidates will be strictly through email to arrange the interview.
We will be following the recommendations for all interviews to be done virtually for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Scheduled via email through Interview Broker on selected dates from November through January
- Available interview dates will be conveyed to candidates in invitation to interview
- Applicants will be interviewed by the Program Director and the Associate Program Director or a core faculty member
- We will have time set aside to visit with our residents to answer questions
Please do not call to check the status of your application or your USMLE score reports. Notifications of application status will be emailed on a regular basis as applications are reviewed and decisions have been made. Details of decisions cannot be provided on an individual basis due to the number of applications.
I became the Program Coordinator for the Internal Medicine Residency in 2017 and I am a USD alumnus.
I love working with the residents and watching them progress into confident physicians throughout residency. One of my favorite hobbies is riding dirt bike in Black Hills, SD. I hope you find our program is a great fit for you!