There are thirteen four-week block rotations. Tweleve are required with 1 elective. Depending on career goals we can add more electives. The inpatient core will be primarily based at the long-term care facilities.
The longitudinal component includes an ambulatory and long-term care experience. The fellow will have one half-day session in a primary care family medicine clinic seeing geriatric patients. The conference schedule will include two weekly conferences of one hour with members of the faculty. Lectures will be didactic lectures from the GRS teaching slides and board review conferences as well as specialty lectures, case conferences, IHI modules, journal club, research discussions and business meetings.
The long-term care rotation includes experiences in SNF and LTC. The fellow will also have a nursing home panel of LTC residents for their fellowship that are visited monthly.
- VA Community Living Center (step-down unit from acute care, hospice, rehabilitation, modified long-term care)
- VA Home-Based Primary Care
- Avera McKennan Inpatient Consultation, Post-Hospital Transitions of Care, and Post-Hospital Care
- Avera McKennan Urogynecology, Wound Care
- Avera McKennan Inpatient and Outpatient Rehabilitation
- Skilled Nursing Facility Care/ Nursing Home Long Term Care
- Sanford Acute Inpatient Care
- Avera Community Home Health
- Sanford Neurology
- Geri Psychiatry
- Sanford Inpatient Palliative Care and Hospice
- Avera Palliative Care and Hospice
- Research/Writing/Independent Study
- Geriatrics Outpatient Clinic Panel: year-long, but can be divided into six-month blocks
- Nursing Home Panel: year-long
- Certified Medical Director (CMD) Training: year-long nursing home administration
- GEM (Geriatric Evaluation and Management) Clinic at the VA.
- Nursing Home Participation in Medicare Team Review of SNF Patients: ( on SNF)
- Noon Conferences: year-long twice weekly
- Attendance at the Annual Meeting of AMDA, Dedicated to Long Term Care, Futures Program
- Attendance at the Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society
- Attendance with a presentation at the Annual Meeting of the South Dakota Medical Directors Meeting